Friday, April 23, 2010

Inge 2010 - Day 3

This was a rich full day, beginning with an interview on stage with Paula Vogel, this year's honoree, followed by the scholar's conference where I delivered my paper to polite applause, and then the gala dinner at the Civic Auditorium. I'll update with pictures as soon as I download them.

So far it's been a lot of fun, and the best part is that the weather has cooperated fully. Over the last twenty years we've endured wind, rain, tornadoes, sleet, even a snow flurry or two. One year it rained so hard that my shoes got soaked through just from running from the college parking lot to the theatre. I had to go out to Wal-Mart and buy a new pair. (I still have them.)

One of the best parts of the festival is that we get the chance to mingle with people who know what it's like to work on a play or a piece of writing for weeks, months, or years and then try to get it produced... or even read. There's a lot of solidarity and commiseration, but there's also good advice and networking going on, too. I have already been asked for copies of Can't Live Without You from people who are interested in considering it for readings by their theatre group or even consideration for a full production. It's both gratifying and inspiring, because the next inevitable question is, "What else have you got?" So I am working on giving them more.

Tomorrow (Saturday) is the Picnic picnic, a master class with Paula Vogel, and the tribute to her.

Pictures from Friday:

Paula Vogel is interviewed by David Savran.


Mary Hanes shares ideas on playwriting.


I had some pictures of the gala dinner, but the quality isn't all that hot, so I'll see if I can nick some from the official photographer and post them. Suffice it to say that we all had a great time, and the program of songs put together by Tom Jones, last year's honoree, which included a tune from his work-in-progress, a musical version of the film Harold and Maude, was a delight.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home